Makes : 12 servings
Ultimate Mac n' Cheese
Everyone needs Mac ‘N Cheese in their repertoire, and this one made with old cheddar and gruyere is as good as it gets.
- 375 mL or 1 1/2 cups All-Bran Buds* cereal
- 454 g or 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1L or 4 cups milk
- 2 Bay leaves
- 125 mL or 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 125 mL or 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 L or 4 cups grated Old Cheddar
- 5 mL or 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 mL or 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 mL or 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 60 mL or 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 500 ml or 2 cups grated Gruyere
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Cook macaroni according to the directions on the package just until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
3. Meanwhile, heat the milk with the bay leaves in a small saucepan without bringing it to a boil.
4. Melt 90 ml (6 tbsp ) of the butter in a large pot and add the flour, whisking constantly to make a paste, about 1 minute.
5. Whisk in the hot milk and cook until thickened and smooth, about 2 minutes.
6. Remove from heat, stir in the Cheddar, Gruyere, salt, mustard cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Remove bay leaves. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a baking dish.
7. Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining butter. In a small bowl, drizzle butter over the All-Bran Buds* cereal and toss with a fork to combine. Spread over macaroni. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the topping is crisp. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg’s* products. Results with other products may vary.
What's psyllium fibre?
Psyllium fibre is a type of “soluble fibre” that forms a gel in the digestive system. This traps some of the cholesterol and removes it from the body.
Most Canadians only get about half of the recommended fibre per day§
Did you know fibre needs water to work effectively? Try to get at least 9 cups of fluids every day.