High Fibre Carrot Bran Muffins
The buttermilk and lemon zest in these scrumptious muffins keep them tender and light tasting.
- 375 ml or 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 375 ml or 1 1/2 cup All-Bran Original* cereal
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 15 ml or 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 5 ml or 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 ml or 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ml or 1/4 tsp salt
- 250 ml or 1 cup raisins or chopped dates
- 250 ml or 1 cup grated carrots
- 425 ml or 1 3/4 cup buttermilk or soured milk
- 50 ml or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 grated rind of lemon or orange
1. In large bowl, stir together flour, cereal, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, soda, salt raisins and carrots.
2. Add buttermilk, oil, egg and lemon rind, stirring just until combined.
3. Spoon into greased non - stick muffin tins. Bake in 200°C (400°F) oven for 20 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch.
YIELD: 12 muffins
6g Dietary Fibre
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.
What's psyllium fibre?
Psyllium fibre is a type of “soluble fibre” that forms a gel in the digestive system. This traps some of the cholesterol and removes it from the body.
Most Canadians only get about half of the recommended fibre per day§
Did you know fibre needs water to work effectively? Try to get at least 9 cups of fluids every day.