Game Night Chili
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 65 min
Goal! This meat-based chili that adds in veggies like corn and red peppers, and fresh cilantro really hits it out of the park.
- 500 g or 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 mL or 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 mL or ½ tsp each, salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 30 mL or 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 798 mL or 28 oz can, diced tomatoes
- 250 mL or 1 cup water
- 1 540 mL or 19 oz can, red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 250 mL or 1 cup frozen corn niblets
- 250 mL or 1 cup All-Bran Buds* cereal
- 250 mL or 1 cup All-Bran Original* cereal
- 60 mL or ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. In a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, cook ground beef with onion, celery and carrot, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon. Cook until beef is browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Drain off any excess fat and return pan to heat.
2. Stir in chili powder, salt, pepper and tomato paste. Add diced tomatoes with juices, water and beans, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in red pepper, corn and cereal and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with cilantro.
VARIATION: Create Sloppy Joes by dividing the chili over the bottom of 6 toasted hamburger buns. Top with grated Cheddar cheese and place under the broiler for about 1 minute, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Top with bun lids
YIELD: 6 servings
26 g Protein
49 g Carbohydrate
4 g Fat
17 g Dietary Fibre
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg’s® products. Results with other products may vary.