Makes : 6 servings
Creamy Butternut Squash and Potato Soup
Smooth and creamy, this luscious soup is satisfying for lunch, or makes a welcoming starter for dinner parties. Toasted bran adds a subtle nutty crunch.
3/4 cup (175 mL)
All-Bran Buds* cereal, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 5 cups (1.25 L) peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 1 cup (250 mL) peeled and chopped Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) half and half cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Place cereal on one side of baking tray and pumpkin seeds on the other. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and thyme for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add squash, potatoes, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until well coated.
3. Add broth and bring to boil; stir in 1/3 cup (75 mL) cereal. Reduce to simmer; cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft and tender. Using hand blender, purée until smooth. Stir in cream, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper (if using); heat through.
4. Divide soup among serving bowls. Garnish with remaining cereal and pumpkin seeds.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.
What's psyllium fibre?
Psyllium fibre is a type of “soluble fibre” that forms a gel in the digestive system. This traps some of the cholesterol and removes it from the body.
Most Canadians only get about half of the recommended fibre per day§
Did you know fibre needs water to work effectively? Try to get at least 9 cups of fluids every day.