Makes : 24 muffins
Country Bran Muffins
Made with buttermilk, succulent raisins, and whole wheat flour, these muffins taste delightfully tangy and hearty.
- 750 ml or 3 cups All-Bran Original* cereal
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 250 ml or 1 cup raisins
- 250 ml or 1 cup boiling water
- 550 ml or 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 250 ml or 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 12 ml or 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 ml or 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 500 ml or 2 cup buttermilk**
1. In large bowl, mix cereal, oil and raisins. Stir in boiling water. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Combine flour, sugar, soda and salt. Set aside.
3. Lightly beat eggs and mix with buttermilk. Add to cereal mixture; blend well.
4. Add flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Cover and let stand at least 15 minutes, preferably 1 hour before baking. Do not stir. Spoon batter into greased 6 cm (2 1/2") muffin pan cups, filling about 3/4 full. Bake at 200°C (400°F) 18 - 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
**Note: 25 ml (2 tbsp) vinegar or lemon juice plus milk made up to 500 ml (2 cups) may be used instead of buttermilk.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.
What's psyllium fibre?
Psyllium fibre is a type of “soluble fibre” that forms a gel in the digestive system. This traps some of the cholesterol and removes it from the body.
Most Canadians only get about half of the recommended fibre per day§
Did you know fibre needs water to work effectively? Try to get at least 9 cups of fluids every day.