Makes : 12 muffins
Total Time: 20 min
Prep Time: 15 min
Cocoa Banana Bran Muffins
You’ll be smitten with these muffins filled with one of the very best flavour pairings – bananas and chocolate.
- 1 1/4 cups or 300 ml All-Bran Original* cereal
- 3/4 cup or 175 ml milk (1%)
- 1 cup or 250 ml all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup or 125 ml lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup or 50 ml cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp or 15 ml baking powder
- 1/4 tsp or 1 ml each, baking soda and salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup or 50 ml canola oil
- 3 large, very ripe bananas (reserve 12 thin slices, mash reminder)
- 1/3 cup or 75 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. In medium bowl, combine cereal and milk. Let stand for about 2 minutes or until cereal softens.
2. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. Add egg, oil and mashed bananas to cereal mixture; beat well. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring only until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Portion batter evenly into 12 (2½”/6.5 cm) non-stick muffin pan cups, lightly coated with cooking spray. Top each cup with a reserved banana slice.
4. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
Tip: These moist, decadent muffins are especially good if eaten while they are still warm from the oven! If you reheat them from room temperature in the microwave oven, they just need about 20 seconds per muffin at a gentle heat setting (medium or medium low).
YIELDS: 12 Muffins
4 g Protein
35 g Carbohydrate
7 g Fat
4 g Dietary Fibre
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.
What's psyllium fibre?
Psyllium fibre is a type of “soluble fibre” that forms a gel in the digestive system. This traps some of the cholesterol and removes it from the body.
Most Canadians only get about half of the recommended fibre per day§
Did you know fibre needs water to work effectively? Try to get at least 9 cups of fluids every day.