Makes : 12 servings
Buttermilk, Apple Pecan Muffins
The buttermilk in these muffins gives them a little tang, and a lot of tenderness.
- 300 ml or 1 1/4 cups All-Bran Buds* cereal
- 60 ml or 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 60 ml or 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 5 ml or 1 tsp cinnamon
- 250 ml or 1 cup all purpose flour
- 5 ml or 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 ml or 1/2 tsp salt
- 50 ml or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml or 1 cup apple sauce
- 5 ml or 1 tsp vanilla
- 175 ml or 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 apple - chopped into small pieces
1. In a small bowl, combine 60 ml (1/4 cup) of the brown sugar, pecans, 2 mL (1/2 tsp) of the cinnamon and 50 mL (1/4 cup) of the cereal. Set aside.
2. In medium bowl, stir together remaining cereal, flour, baking soda, remaining cinnamon and salt.
3. In large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, eggs, applesauce, vanilla and buttermilk until well combined. Stir in cereal mixture and apples just until combined and divide into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Sprinkle each with topping.
4. Bake at 190°C (375°F) until golden and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes in pan before transferring to rack to cool completely.
In keeping with good allergy practices, we remind you to be aware of allergens and to check labels on any packaged goods used. This recipe has been tested using Kellogg's* products. Results with other products may vary.
What's psyllium fibre?
Psyllium fibre is a type of “soluble fibre” that forms a gel in the digestive system. This traps some of the cholesterol and removes it from the body.
Most Canadians only get about half of the recommended fibre per day§
Did you know fibre needs water to work effectively? Try to get at least 9 cups of fluids every day.