Apple Carrot Bran Muffin
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 25 min
Servings: 12 muffins
- 375 mL or 1 ½ cups All-Bran Buds* cereal
- 300 mL or 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 75 mL or 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 15 mL or 1 tbsp vanilla
- 250 mL or 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 250 mL or 1 cup apple, unpeeled and shredded
- 125 mL or ½ cup raisins
- 375 mL or 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 125 mL or ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 15 mL or 1 tbsp baking powder
- 10 mL or 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 mL or ½ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F)
2. In a medium bowl, combine cereal and milk and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in egg, oil and vanilla, then carrots, apples and raisins.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir cereal mixture into dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Spoon batter into a greased or baking paper-lined 12-cup muffin tin.
4. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
YIELD: 12 muffins
VARIATION: For streusel topped bran muffins, combine 60 mL or ¼ cup brown sugar, 60 mL or ¼ cup All-Bran Buds cereal, 30 mL or 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, 2 mL or ½ tsp cinnamon and 30 mL or 2 tbsp softened butter in a bowl with a fork until crumbly. Divide over the top of muffins just before baking.
TIP: To make your own buttermilk, add 15 mL or 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring cup. Add milk until mixture measures 250 mL or 1 cup. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
4 g Protein
40 g Carbohydrate
7 g Fat
6 g Dietary Fibre